Contacting a Funeral Director is a priority when a person dies. At Carlyon Funeral Directors, near Truro, Cornwall. We operate a 24-hour service, 365 days a year. We’re here to provide practical help and advice at a difficult time for you and your family. Below you’ll find all the information you need about registering a death. If you’d like to talk with a member of our expert team, please call us on 07968 498227 or 01209 890229

When a death occurs at home

When a person has been ill for some time and their death was expected it is advised to contact their doctor who will visit the home and certify the death. They will also determine the cause of death. If it is the middle of the night, or the doctor is in surgery, then call 999. The police will visit the home and organise for a police doctor to certify the death. Only once the doctor has signed legal paperwork can the deceased be released into the Funeral Director’s care.

Medical Certificate

Later that day or the next, the doctor will issue relatives with a ‘Medical Certificate of Cause of Death’, known as Form 11. This contains a list of who can register the death at the local Registry Office and what information the registrar will require. If you are uncertain whether someone is dead, then call the doctor or dial 999 and ask for an ambulance. If the cause of death cannot be determined then the doctor will refer the death to The Procurator Fiscal to decide whether a postmortem will be required

When a death occurs at hospital

If a death occurs in the hospital without relatives present, the next of kin will be notified by the nursing staff as soon as possible. Arrangements can then be made with the hospital administrative staff to deal with any legal formalities such as collecting:

• a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (issued by a hospital doctor)
• any personal possessions of your relative

If it is proposed to have a burial service, the deceased can be released into the funeral director’s care immediately. (within hospital mortuary hours.)
If it is a suggested cremation the hospital will have to complete a cremation document, this involves two doctors signing this document to confirm the cause of death. This is often not an immediate action. It is essential that the doctor who cared for the deceased during their last illness signs the first part of the document, however, we may have to wait until the doctor is back on their shift.

When a death occurs somewhere else

If death occurs away from home, then the initial formalities detailed above will be completed by the doctor or hospital staff in that location.

Relatives who wish to bring the body home for the funeral can rely on Carlyon Family Funeral Directors to take care of all the arrangements, including transportation. Should death occur abroad then please speak to our staff who can advise on the options available.

Registering a death

How to register a death with the Registry Office in Cornwall.

Once the Doctor or Hospital has issued the Medical Certificate (Form 11), the Next Of Kin or Applicant must register the death within 8 days at the Registry Office anywhere in Cornwall, please note that some offices may wish you to make an appointment.

The person registering the death will be asked for the following information about the deceased:

• Date and place of death.

• Full name and usual address. (and maiden name if applicable)

• Date and place of birth.

• Occupation. (and name and occupation of her husband, if applicable)

• Usual address and the full name of the Next Of Kin / Applicant.

A Death Certificate can then be obtained on payment of the prescribed fee. This certificate will be needed for closing bank accounts and making claims on insurance policies.

The Registrar will issue you with:

• A white document (Form 14) required by the funeral director for Burial or Cremation.

• An abbreviated Death Certificate that is issued free of charge. (If you require a full Death Certificate there is a charge, the current fee is £10 per document. Sometimes families wish to purchase more than one, for banks, insurance companies etc.)

• You will also be given a special document which is for Social Security purposes to cancel the payment of pensions and allowances.

We’re Here to Assist

Carlyon Family Funeral Directors near Truro, Cornwall. We are available to sit down with you and talk things through over a nice cup of tea. Alternatively, you can give us a call or contact us through our website, we are available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment

We are an independent, family run Funeral Directors based in Mount Hawke, Truro. We strive to be flexible, diverse and respectful of you and your family's needs.

Available 24hrs

Supporting you at time of loss 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Let Us Lend A Helping Hand
01209 890229 | 07968 498227

Our Address:
Wheal Ellen, Mount Hawke, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8DL

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop