After A Bereavement

Immediate Actions

Whether sudden or expected, bereavement can be a traumatic experience; that is why we make our professional, experienced help available, any time of the day or night.

There are some things you may need to do immediately, such as arranging with us to have your loved one transferred into our care. Just remember, we are here to advise and guide you, so if you need help at this difficult time, please do call us.

Other decisions, such as making funeral arrangements, can be made straight away, or postponed for a little while until you feel ready to deal with them. The things that need to be done immediately will vary depending upon the individual circumstances of your bereavement. This brochure aims to help guide you, but we are always at the end of the phone if you need further help or advice.

24 Hour Service

Supporting you at time of loss 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. There are times when someone passes away outside of office hours, at weekends or bank holidays, which is why we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. Simply call us on 07968 498227 or 01209 890229 and we will arrange for your loved one to be brought into our care.


What to do when someone dies at home?

If the death was expected, for example if your loved one had a terminal illness, you will need to call their GP or the NHS helpline (dial 111) as soon as possible. If you are not the deceased’s next of kin or closest relative, you should also notify the family immediately. If the cause of death is known, the doctor will issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death which will allow you to register the death. You should also contact a Funeral Director to arrange for your loved one to be taken into their care.

If the death was unexpected, you must call the Police and Ambulance services immediately by dialing 999. The operator will provide instructions on what you need to do. The paramedics on arrival will treat the sick accordingly.

If the cause of death is unknown, it is important you leave the area untouched. The police will arrange for a Funeral Director to collect the deceased and take the body into their care, acting on behalf of the coroner if the death is unexpected.

If the doctor is unsure about the actual cause of death, even if it was clearly natural causes, or if the deceased died suddenly or unnaturally, they would contact the coroner as soon as possible. The coroner may order a post-mortem examination or inquest to determine the cause of death and then issue the documentation necessary to register the death.

It is important to note that a funeral cannot be conducted until the coroner’s inquest has been completed and cause of death established.

Contact Us

What to do when someone dies in hospital?

If a loved one has unfortunately passed away in hospital, the hospital will contact the next of kin or closest family members immediately.

Many hospitals throughout the UK have specialist bereavement centres to explain procedures and next steps to you. They can assist you in completing the required administrative formalities.

We can make ourselves available to bring your loved one into care, using our professionally adapted private ambulance. We can also work with the hospital to ensure the necessary paperwork is completed.

You will need to speak to the hospital bereavement centre to arrange for the collection of any personal belongings and the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death. This certificate will then need to be presented to the appropriate Registrar’s Office.

To learn more about registering the death of a loved one, visit our registering a death guide.

Contact Us

What to do when someone dies in a care home?

If your loved one is a resident of a Nursing Home, and sadly passes away whilst they are there, the staff will normally contact the Funeral Director within a short period of time so that the deceased person can be transported to the Chapel of Rest.

The staff will liaise with the family, the doctor and the Funeral Director to some extent, and ensure that a medical certificate is issued as necessary. The family may then register the death and arrange the funeral.

Contact Us

What to do when someone dies in the UK away from home?

If a loved one passes away from home, or on holiday in the UK, we appreciate this may cause you additional concerns. Please be reassured that we are called upon to deal with such arrangements quite regularly.

In the event someone dies away from home, we ask that you call us to discuss arrangements, as our advice depends upon the individual circumstances.

Contact Us

What to do when someone dies abroad?

If a loved one or friend dies abroad and you would like to bring them back to their country of residence for burial or cremation, we can help. Carlyon Funeral Directors offers a repatriation service and will arrange for your loved one to be brought back home for the funeral.

The Funeral Director will take care of all the details, supporting you throughout the entire process. If you choose to have the funeral held in the country where the death occurred, the British Consulate can register the death and possibly recommend a Funeral Director.

Contact Us

Registering the death

When someone passes away, you should register the death at the Registrar’s Office within the district where the death has occurred. Generally, all deaths should be registered within five days. There may be some exceptions, depending on whether the H.M Coroner is informed.

We are always happy to help and advise you based on your particular circumstances.

Learn More

Send Us A Message


    We are an independent, family run Funeral Directors based in Mount Hawke, Truro. We strive to be flexible, diverse and respectful of you and your family's needs.

    Available 24hrs

    Supporting you at time of loss 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

    Let Us Lend A Helping Hand
    01209 890229 | 07968 498227

    Our Address:
    Wheal Ellen, Mount Hawke, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8DL

      Your Cart
      Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop