Les Grand Vents – Martin Huot is an extremely talented artist and wood-turner. Working as ‘Les Grands Vents’ he produces exceptional solid wood funeral urns. These are hand carved and turned from one single log in various woods such as Apple, Birch, Cherry and Maple – all sourced locally in Quebec, Canada.
Dimensions – 30cm high, 18cm diameter, 3.7litre capacity.
Please note: The ecological range of Les Grands Vents are designed for an eco-friendly burial option, so they do not have a brass threading and need to be secured with glue or ribbon.
These very tactile urns are polished with beeswax to achieve a glass-like, smooth finish. Although the ecological range is primarily designed for burial, they would also sit splendidly within the family home as a piece of natural artwork and discreetly hold the ashes of a loved one or family pet. In turning and crafting the urn – he exposes the very heart of the tree to provide a stunning display of natural colours and textured grains. The domed cap needs to be secured with glue or ribbon, as they are part of the ecological range that are suitable for burial.
As each urn is turned from a single sourced log – no two urns are identical. Each urn is signed, numbered and comes with a certificate of authenticity. Some urns are finished with artistic metal embellishment – such as bronze work.
To help you with size and choose the correct urn we have a simple step by step guide.
- Start by taking some digital scales and the container of ashes that you would have received from the crematorium.
- Place this box onto the digital scales and weigh the ashes.
- If your ashes are contained in a poly-tub – remove 230g from the additional weight if they are in a cremation box – remove 200g from the weight.
- Our rule of thumb is that for every kilogram of cremated remains – equates to 1 litre of ashes.
- This means if you have approximately 3 kilograms of cremated remains you will need to purchase an urn of between 3-4 litres in capacity.
- Secure Haven have urns to suit all needs available from 0.75 through to 8 litre capacities.